Later when I was introduced to Reflexology, I did some more research on snoring and its causes. So here I'm sharing with you some of the ways we can tackle the problem.
If snoring is your regular problem, it won't just be uncomfortable for you, it will disturb the sleep of your spouse or sibling whom you share the room with. This later results in disturbed state of mind, irritability and lethargy during the day. So do not take snoring lightly, treat it immediately.
So what causes snoring?
- As my experience proves, snoring occurs due to blockage of the nasal passage which can occur due to cold/ infection.
- When sleeping, the throat muscles relax, narrowing the air passage, resulting in snoring.
- Faulty sleeping positions.
- Excessive smoking and alcohol intake.
- Accumulation of fat around the throat or obesity.
- Throat weakness or disposition of the jaw.
Reflexology on the respiratory areas of the foot helps cure snoring. This is because reflexology on respiratory region results in deeper, more relaxed and slower breathing, which prevents forceful intake of breath through the throat.
Also, in case of cough or cold, reflexology helps in releasing the mucus and removal of toxins. Curing the infection can open up the nasal passage.
The areas shown in the picture are the ones to work on:
Note: The corresponding area on the upper surface of the foot should also be worked on.
Other Necessary Lifestyle Modifications:
- Avoid smoking and alcohol.
- Avoid sleeping on your back.
- Avoid breathing through the mouth.
- Reduce excess body weight.
- Practice Pranayamas regularly- Ujjayi Pranayama, Brahmari Pranayama, Yogendra Pranayama 1-9.
- Practice Asanas that involve chest expansion and also Simhasana which is extremely good for the throat and voice.
- Keep your nasal passage clean through Kriyas like Jalaneti and Jihvamulashodhanam.
- It has been found that Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) has also been very effective in curing snoring.
Caution: Reflexology Treatment should be done by a trained Reflexologist.
All Yogic practices must be done under the guidance of a trained yoga therapist.
Sleep Well !!