Why wait till it’s too late? Why not take some preventive or remedial measures from now. You do not need to go to experts to reduce the belly, unless it is an extreme case. There are some simple steps you can take to make small changes in your lifestyle that will work wonders:
1. Start Early: You may not even have a pot belly right now, but that does not mean that you will not in the future. Most diseases that occur at an older age are a result of our actions when we are younger. If you are a smoker or drink heavily, your lungs and liver will survive and struggle for a few years and so nothing will happen when you are in your 20’s. But the organs ultimately do give up in the future when they are not strong enough anymore. Cancer, liver disease, respiratory problems, all are a long-term result of the same. So do not wait until you are old. Start creating good habits from now.
2. Food: Avoid staying hungry for long times, avoid overeating. Large meals put a lot of load on the stomach and intestine to digest. Chances are that a lot of food will be stored as fat instead of used for energy, especially if you are not physically active. Have a large amount of salad – especially cucumber and tomato just before every meal, reduce alcohol and sugar intake, processed food and fast food like soft drinks, fries and burgers. Eat more raw food like fruits. You will find that they are so much tastier and satisfying than cooked food. It de-toxifies the body, makes you feel light and healthy and, over time, you won’t even feel like polluting your body with unhealthy food.
3. Walk: Pot belly has two causes, one is high calorie intake and second is a sedentary lifestyle. A good one hour walk first thing in the morning helps improve blood circulation, improves digestion, improves stamina, prevents many diseases and is very refreshing. Try and walk amongst nature, in the park rather than in a closed environment like a gym. Spending quiet time with nature calms the mind.
|(picture courtesy exercise-works.org)|
4. Play: Play sports, go for a swim, cycle. Why is this important? Because overeating and weight gain are related to emotions. De-stressing can solve a lot of problems. Playing with kids is the best exercise for body and mind and it is so enjoyable that it doesn’t even feel like effort. Spend time with family and maintain good relations. Care for others. This creates positive feelings and emotions which lead to a happy and healthy life.
5. Posture: When walking and sitting, keep your back straight. This helps to tuck in the abdomen automatically and keeps it toned. Erect spine also has many health benefits. Wrong posture affects the nervous signals in the central nervous system i.e. brain and spine. Keeping the spine erect keeps the channel clear and the spine healthy, which in turn keeps the body and mind healthy.
6. Relax: Some relaxation time, especially for the mind is essential during the day. The entire day goes in stress where the mind and body are both tense. This leads to emotions, indulgence and irritability. Some Yogic relaxation techniques like Savasana, for at least 15 minutes during the day can work wonders.
7. Body-Mind Therapies: A full Body Massage or Foot Reflexology therapy twice a month helps to improve digestion, remove toxins from the body, tone the muscles and reduce excess fat and cellulite on the body. It not only relaxes you physically but it a very important therapy for relaxing and soothing the mind.
8. Yoga: Yoga is more than physical exercise. It involves correct lifestyle, habits and attitude. All this combined prevents all kinds of problems. Apart from walking, simple Yogic stretches and Asanas for the body and some breathing techniques and attitude changes for the mind are very effective. This is more effective than gymming because exercises in the gym lead to build-up of muscle mass which turns into fat if the exercises are discontinued for a little while. Yogic exercises are scientifically designed to exercise even the internal organs which improves their tenacity and functioning.
9. Accept yourself: No one in the world is perfect. Do not worry of what others think about you. Everyone is busy worrying about themselves anyway. Accept yourself and your body, be happy and confident and that alone will free you from a lot of problems, physical as well as mental.
10. Health Checkup: A pot belly can lead to many diseases but it can also be a symptom of an existing condition. After the age of 40, regular health check-ups are a must for every individual. Early diagnosis of a disease can lead to quick cure or prevention. Make sure you consult a doctor and start taking regular calcium and vitamins, either through diet or supplements, as advised. Remember, the most important thing in the world is your own health.
These changes are not at all difficult to make in life. Start with one and continue it religiously till it becomes part of your daily routine. It is not much to ask, good habits are worth the effort. Slowly, keep adding more to your routine and watch your life and health change.
Why spend money on pills and doctors when your health is in your own hands?
Stay Healthy !!
Writer: Mr. Pinakin Shah
Pristine Senses Academy